Paicines Ranch, also known as Rancho Cienega de los Paicines, has been a working ranch since the mid-1800’s. The original land grant of 1842 assigned the land to Angel Castro & Jose Rodriquez who in turn sold it to Francisco Villegas. The next owner, Alexander Grogan, started a dairy operation in 1867 and built many of the oldest buildings that still make up the ranch center today, including the Victorian house, the two large barns, and the cheese house.
The current owners of Paicines Ranch have been working to restore and preserve the deep historic context of the ranch and are committed to keeping the land in operation with a focus on sustainable agriculture and grass-fed beef. RC|A worked with the owners to create a Masterplan for the historic core. The plan prioritizes improvements of existing facilities and delineates areas of expansion.
The Ranch currently serves individuals and groups who visit the ranch for special events, weddings, reunions, corporate meetings, classes and retreats. Paicines Ranch hosts local community events and a variety of other activities, with the aim of demonstrating a part of California history and protecting the open space for future generations.